Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Trade update

As I mentioned last Friday, I did say that I will post any trades that I took and I haven't done that yet (I will do that later tonight when I'm not on my work computer). However, I will say that I did make a couple of trades on Friday. One was an OEX put BWB 505/500/490 for a $0.65 credit and the other was a time spread trade on AAPL using weeklies selling 260 weekly puts and buying the August 260 puts for a debit of $3.15. I can't say that the AAPL trade was the best trade ever, and I didnt' really look at the volatility levels which makes you wonder why I took the trade in the first place? I struggle to answer that myself (perhaps boredom??). I think initially the rationale was that I wanted to get long APPL for a bit more upside but I thought essentially it would stay flat for the week (AAPL was at 257 when I put the trade on). I still have my existing AAPL earnings butterfly on I was looking at some sort of hedge for that (I'll post the screen shot of both later). The trade is down $6 overall so really it's doing nothing. I suspect that those 260 puts are not going to decay very much until Friday morning. I guess that's what happens when you feel the urge to put a position on. In other trade news, I still have my GS earnings butterfly which is also doing nothing except holding up margin (especially now as I have to twice that of what I can possibly lose - Thanks FINRA). I also sold some put spreads on the ZB long bonds again. I had bought them back thinking bonds would sell off with this move up but it hasn't eventuated and probably won't with this strange market where bond and equity bulls can both win (Goldilocks market??). Overall I would say that I haven't made the most of my predictions with regards to direction. Possibly buying some real cheap calls spreads on the OEX weeklies on Friday was a better play then buying the OEX BWB's (I now own 6 of these contracts). We'll there are still 4 days left so we'll see how we go but odds are that they will expire out of the money. Perhaps I might buy 2 of the 510/505/500 Put BWB's on any down move knowing that my original trade will hedge this position off somewhat.

The final trade I have on is the RUT Sept expiry short put spreads and they are now trading at $0.50 after I sold them for $1.15. This still doesn't make up for the loss on the calls so again no big winner here. It seems to be the story thus far after the flash crash, the account is not really going anywhere but at least that's better than losing.

No comments:

Post a Comment