Thursday, July 22, 2010

Occupational hazard....

It would be easy to be feeling sick in the stomach right about now as the AAPL trade is now trading around $3.10 credit but as a poker player who has played his fair share of hands and folded when he had the best hand after his opponent showed him his cards, it's easy to make this kind of an observation and say that I should have held onto the trade. After all that's the human thing to do (it's called hindsight bias). As traders however, living in the past is a dangerous thing (so it can be too for poker players) and it's all about trading what you see right there in front of you. The market making you look stupid because your trade was so good in hindsight is something you learn to live with and accept. Call it an occupational hazard. Remember at the time I exited the trade, I thought I was making the best decision and that really is all that matters!

I'm still bullish on AAPL here and I've bought myself a 260/250/230 put BWB for $0.14 credit. A very conservative trade indeed especially if I'm bullish and AAPL keeps on climbing but I more confident on AAPL not tanking at this point rather than it exploding up so I'll take the higher prob trade.

1 comment:

  1. Yes great trade the 1st AAPL and it's nice to see that it's not just me who sometimes pulls the trigger too soon. However if you get into a nice profit zone that fits your original (not hindsighted) plan, then it is a successful trade. Very short and sharp trades - intriguing to watch.
    \dP

    ReplyDelete